1) What are you currently doing?
I’m in 12th grade and working on completing my A Levels at Inventure Academy
2) Which colleges did you receive acceptances from? Which did you choose and why?
I haven’t even sent out applications yet, so no idea. I’m planning to send early applications to the University of Michigan and Stanford.
3) How has Inventure helped you achieve your goals thus far?
Inventure has been like a second home to me since the age of 8, so arguably every achievement I’ve ever made has been strongly influenced by Inventure. I think most notably, Inventure has provided me with an incredible amount of flexibility. Whether I needed extra afterschool access to the chemistry lab or wanted to take board exams early, Inventure has always accommodated me. As a result, I was able to undertake advanced studies and research according to my interests without any restrictions. My close relationship with teachers here has also helped me balance academics with everything else I do.
4) Why would you recommend Inventure to a friend/anyone you know?
I think the culture of the school is really great. Teachers, students, and the management all come together to create a place where collaboration, equality, and multi-dimensional learning are realized. To put it very simply – since I’ve joined Inventure, I look forward not to the beginning of summer holidays, but to their end. It’s a real gift to be able to look forward to school with excitement and anticipation every morning – and that’s why Inventure is awesome.
5) What were your major accomplishments at school?
1. Grand Award winner at the IRIS National Science Fair in Pune. At a separate event, the Indian National Science and Engineering Fair held at Rajkot – Gujarat, Sahithi competed against the top 20
Gold medallists of the country and emerged as one amongst the top 3 winners to represent India at ISWEEEP.
2. ISWEEEP (The International Sustainable World Engineering Energy Environment Project) Olympiad held in Houston, Texas, Sahithi won the Gold Medal for her research on ‘An Innovative Crowdsourcing Approach to Monitoring Freshwater Bodies’.
3. At the INTEL ISEF international finals held in Los Angeles, she won 3 special awards in addition to placing overall second in the category Earth and Environmental Sciences.
The ASU Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives Special Award
A Special Award from King Abdul Aziz and his Companions for Giftedness and Creativity
US Agency for International Development Special Award
4. Sahithi was first exposed to the impact of development on Bangalore’s lifeline – our network of lakes – in July 2015, when she won a scholarship from Inventure to participate in the American India Foundation on (AIF) program, to study the impact of urban development on scarce resources. Sahithi was also part of the Inventure team that participated in the Our Lakes Our Voice (OLOV) (an Inventure Change Maker initiative) aimed at students from AIF and Inventure doing an experiential case study on Varthur Lake, a 450-acre water body in Inventure’s vicinity.
The team’s findings through OLOV prompted Sahithi (the Change Maker OLOV student coordinator) and her team to research the various factors that contribute to the pollution of our water bodies through surveys, sessions with experts, and interviewing people who live and work around the lakes, while carrying out regular testing on ten different Bangalore lakes, for over a year.
Sahithi went on to develop an integrated mobile phone app and lake monitoring kit which is being used to visualize changing lake conditions by crowdsourcing lake monitoring to citizens and students (our future citizens!). All the collected data feeds into a first-of-its-kind live web-based water health map of the world which automatically indicates the status of each monitored water body.
6) How have you built/used what you learnt at Inventure… how has the Inventure experience helped you in college/life?
Inventure culture has been a really big part of everything I do. The way everyone is actively encouraged to pursue excellence in multiple dimensions has influenced my motivation and attitude towards life. Having such a big community of people who are so willing to celebrate every achievement and support me after every failure has pushed me to reach ever higher.