The life of a kindergartener
Everyday when we come to class, we put our bags away, and put our diaries on the table for teacher to look at. Then we play with puzzles, blocks and books till classes begin. Last year, in K1, I just had to place my name tag in the registration pouch to say I’m present. But now I’m in K2, so I sign the register.
Carpet Time (8.15 – 8.30am)
I love starting our morning with a happy song. Then we wish everyone present in the class a “good morning!” We also talk about what day it is today, what date it is, how many are present or absent in our class. Ma’am says this helps us learn Math! She then goes over our theme and what we’re learning in language and Math.
PE (8.30 – 9.00am everyday)
Off the carpet and onto the field! I love the PE routines our sports teachers do with us. We learn balancing, coordinating and other important skills which help us grow strong and fit. Then its time for play – free play as well as team games like races and relays, catch and throw, hooplas, and not to forget the adventure course and the climbing wall.
Dance (Twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays for 45 minutes)
We learn fun dance moves, individually and with our partners, keeping to the beat our teacher sets. Our Movement Education Program makes dancing even more exciting! We run around, do gymnastics and play dance games like my favourite animal movement game. We also have a lot of fun using hoola hoops, balloons, ribbons, mats etc which Ma’am says help us understand dance and movement better. I know they make it much more fun! Often we use the letters of the alphabet instead of numbers to help us keep the beat when we dance to music.
Music (Twice a week for 45 minutes on Mondays and Tuesdays)
We learn lots of fun songs, and along with the songs we jump to beats, do actions and create movements. We learn to sing in varying scales and recognize the tunes played by our music teacher. We learn special songs for special days like Independence Day or Christmas.
Breakfast (9am) / Milk Break (10.45am) / Lunch 12.30pm / Snack (3.00pm)
Teacher says that the perfect way to start a day is with a healthy breakfast! Whenever we sit down to eat, we have to be careful not to make a mess or play with our food, eat everything on our plate and have good table manners. I always get excited about our 3 o’clock snack, trying to guess whether we’ll get cupcakes or a chocolate donut with fresh lime juice!
Learning Centre Time
(Everyday, when the children are in class. Lasts from anywhere between 2 ½ to 3 hours with breaks in between)
I love learning! Teacher lets me explore the Learning Centers and understand things in my own way.
- Block corner – for all budding architects!
- Reading corner – for those who enjoy books
- Art corner – to bring out the creative side in each of us
- Play Doh corner – for those who like to make beautiful things out of clay
- Language corner – we match objects with words, read three letter words, and then make our own three letter words using wooden alphabet cutouts. We also play lots of word and speaking games.
- Math corner – we play math and counting games like putting the numbers in the right order. We learn to count with different objects like straws and beads, by putting them in a sequence of beads till 30 or 40.
- Theme corner – we talk about our new theme, read about it, then write a few lines on it, or draw something that is connected to it. Today our theme was ‘All About Me’. In this, we explore things about ourselves. Who am I? Who is my family? What is my body? What is at the exterior of my body? What is inside my body?
- Water play – we love to play with water because it’s fun and feels so good! We also learn many things through water play: measuring, temperatures, filling and pouring. It’s a lovely way to learn some Math too!
- Sand play – this is one of my favourite activities! We put toys in sand and play, or pour it through funnels or even write in sand. Teacher says playing in sand helps our fingers become strong to help in writing when we get bigger!
- Science discovery – looking at the world with a magnifying glass is so amazing! Discovering how an ink filler works is even better! I think I want to be a scientist when I grow up!
Nap Time for Pre K and K1 (2.00 – 3.00pm)
My friend Arati in Pre K gets to nap in the afternoon, because she’s so little and gets tired fast after all the morning activities.
Afternoon Discoveries for K2 (1.30 – 3.00 pm)
We learn to bake a cake, study the stars, make a collage or just mess around…and every thing we do makes us discover something new! I love school!
Home Time (3.00 – 3.15pm)
We end our day with a song, clean up our classroom and put away our diaries. Then we have our yummy snack and some juice and its time to go home. I remember how I cried on my first day of school – now I feel sad when it’s time to leave!